An Essential Diagnostic Tool to Support Your Magnetic Resonance (MR) Liver Imaging Practice
Eovist® is the only FDA-approved Hepatobiliary Specific Contrast Agent (HBA) for MR imaging of the liver.1,2 It is a bi-phasic contrast agent combining dynamic phase imaging (similar to extracellular agents) along with functional, hepatobiliary phase information to support your comprehensive evaluation of focal liver disease.2
Eovist® is indicated for intravenous use in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the liver to detect and characterize lesions in patients with known or suspected focal liver disease.
In addition to dynamic-phase imaging, Eovist® specifically targets functioning hepatocytes within the liver providing additional morphological and functional images about lesion cell composition.1,2
How Eovist®, a hepatobiliary agent, works2
- Following Injection, Eovist® is equally eliminated through the renal and hepatic systems
- Eovist® is initially distributed in the extracellular space, allowing for arterial, portal venous, and transitional imaging phase1,3
- Further assessment of lesions through hepatobiliary phase imaging at 20 minutes post injection:
- Lesions with little or no hepatobiliary function will generally not accumulate Eovist®
- Lesions with normal hepatobiliary function will accumulate Eovist®
References: 1. Eovist® [package insert]. Whippany, NJ: Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc; 2018. 2. Seale MK, Catalano OA, Saini S, Hahn PF, Sahani DV. Hepatobiliary-specific MR contrast agents: role in imaging the liver and biliary tree. Radiographics. 2009;29:1725-1748. doi: 10.1148/rg.296095515. 3. American College of Radiology CT/MRI Li-RADS 2018 CORE.
In clinical trials among 1,989 patients, of whom 1,581 received the recommended dose:
- Overall, 4% of subjects reported one or more reactions during a follow-up period that for most subjects extended 24 hours after Eovist® administration. The adverse reactions were predominantly of mild to moderate severity.
- The most frequent (≥0.5%) adverse reactions associated with the use of Eovist® were nausea, headache, feeling hot, dizziness, and back pain.
- Due to high relaxivity in plasma and the liver, the approved dose of Eovist® injection is 0.025 mmol/kg.1
The Eovist® 15 mL single-dose vial is available to conveniently dose patients weighing 220 lbs to 330 lbs.
- Quality: Maintain image quality through appropriate weight-based dosing in patients requiring >10 mL
- Minimization of waste: Use one 15 mL vial instead of two 10 mL vials
Dynamic and functional liver imaging in <30 minutes1
Eovist® MRIs don’t have to require extended table time. Imaging protocols with Eovist® allow for the collection of dynamic and functional information in under 30 minutes1, that is important to your department and patient scheduling needs.
References: 1. Eovist® [package insert]. Whippany, NJ: Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc; 2018. 2. American College of Radiology CT/MRI Li-RADS 2018 CORE. 3. Jhaveri K, Cleary S, Pascale A. Consensus Statements From a Multidisciplinary Expert Panel on the Utilization and Application of a Liver-Specific MRI Contrast Agent (Gadoxetic Acid). Am J Roentgen AJR. 2015;204:498-509. 4. Yoshioka H, Takahashi N, Yamaguchi M. Double Arterial Phase Dynamic MRI with Sensitivity Encoding (SENSE) for Hypervascular Hepatocellular Carcinomas. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2002;16:259-266.
57-year-old male with suspected liver metastasis from renal cell carcinoma
59‐year‐old female with history of Hepatitis C
52-year-old male with suspected liver metastasis from colorectal cancer
- Eovist® injection is supplied in single-dose, rubber-stoppered vials containing 181.43 mg/mL of gadoxetate disodium, equivalent to 0.25 mmol/mL
- The recommended dose of Eovist® injection is 0.025 mmol/kg body weight